I just wrote a lengthy piece discussing the pros and cons of both pieces of software, based on how I use it. It was going to end with an open dilemma about whether to switch my Blog over to Wordpress or not, but in the course of writing it I convinced myself that I should, so there was no longer any dilemma to pose… Good eh?
I actually installed mySQL on my PC back in Bracknell last week, so I’ll be able to have a crack at doing a data conversion later in the week. Critically, it all rests of whether my “Side Links” sub-blog can comfortably fit into the WordPress “Links” feature. It probably can, so switch I probably will.
The main reasons for choosing to try and switch are as follows:
- Pingback appears to be broken in b2Evolution (at least in my install)
- WordPress does get more regular updates
- The WP Plugin architecture works very nicely indeed
- WP 1.5 has nice looking new Spam protection mechanisms
- I’ve been pondering this for ages now, and if I don’t do something soon then I’ll never get around to making my own theme
- Integrated ‘standalone’ pages are a nice feature that I’ll probably make better use of than B2e’s multiple Blog architecture